The youth unemployment rate reached the 17.1 % of the young population (under 25) in January 2021, has provoked the search of alternatives to battle this sad scenario. Circular economy can add a remarkable number of jobs and stimulate unemployed people re-join the workforce.
Therefore, the project “CI-You: Circular economy youth leaders” intends to foster a sense of initiative and circular entrepreneurship among young people and to stimulate them to develop skills needed in circular economy through trainings and skills development. The potential for youth to consider self-employment in the circular economy sector has not yet been fully realized in the European Union. Many young people have circular economy related professional and vocational skills, but not circular entrepreneurial skills. The project idea is about promoting quality circular economy jobs in the consortium’s partner countries, by training the youth with the skills needed in a circular economy. The project will develop circular entrepreneurial skills and self-employment possibilities for the youth by raising awareness about the importance and the potential of circular economy among public administration at regional and local level.
The Main Aim of the CI-You project is to help further improve the level of green business culture in Europe by providing the youth with knowledge and concepts in the field of the circular economy.
The objectives of the project are the following:
(1) To lead the young people to CE and make it attractive for them so that they will be able to promote and exploit career opportunities in the field of CE;
(2) To develop a clearly defined CE business strategy for young entrepreneurs towards the creation of ‘green’ jobs;
(3) To create flexible learning resources, capable of providing, evaluating and recognizing the key competencies that enhance the youths’ capability to employ themselves or to be employed in the CE sector;
(4) To enable young people, educators, youth organisations, policy makers and other stakeholders to understand the principles and benefits of CE to the environment and to the economy;
(5) To roll out the concept of CE business on a wider domestically and outside the EU scale, to support integrated policies and address current barriers to the implementation of the principles of CE into businesses strategy and goals.
The CI-You project will be implemented by 8 partners: from Greece (Ekpaideftiki Etairia and the Institute of Entrepreneurship Development), Belgium (Out of the Box International), Cyprus (Center of Social Innovation LTD), Serbia (Edufons), Hungary (IMRO-DDKK Környezetvédelmi Nonprofit Kft), Italy (JUMP – Gioventù in riSalto) and Slovenia (Mednarodni institut za implementacijo trajnostnega razvoja).
The project is co-financed by the Erasmus+ KA2 Programme of the European Commission.